Here ye, here ye! For all my #SmartBrownGirls here is what I read last year in 2018. Check out my video where I give a bit of insight on why I picked up each book and what I thought of the read. A few of the books have inspired video topics or I’ve done reviews on them.
Barracoon inspired a complicated conversation on the role of Africans in selling their own into slavery. I reviewed An American Marriage because it’s really a great ‘homegirl’ discussion. The Hate U Give was a necessary read to accompany my movie review. Lastly, If Beale Street Could Talk was a re-read for me but Barry Jenkins’ movie version deserves all the awards and I was totally gushing in my review.
- Eloquent Rage by Brittney Cooper
- Just Mercy by Brian Stephenson
- Men We Reaped by Jesmyn Ward
- How to Slowly Kill Yourself and Others in America by Kiese Laymon
- An American Marriage by Tayari Jones
- Barracon by Zora Neale Hurston*
- Heavy by Kiese Laymon*
- But Some of Us Are Brave
- The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
- Kill All Normies by Angela Nagle
- The Politics of Public Housing by Rhonda Y. Williams
- If Beale Street Could Talk by James Baldwin
*These are great books to check out on Audible. Use my link to get your first audiobook free: https://jouz.es/audible