In the eighth episode of #PopSnark, I talked about:
- The celebrities who stepped up and showed their support for the #BlackLivesMatter protest by wearing the “I Can’t Breathe” t-shirts in honor of the murder of Eric Garner at the hands of the NYPD.
- Fox News does not know how to do anything other than troll Black people. That’s the only way to explain why they would think it is okay to run a story with headline that refers to Jay-Z as a crack dealer.
- I read the saddest story about the illogical slaying of teenager DeMario Bailey in Chicago. He and his twin brother were walking to basketball practice, when they were attacked by other teens who were trying to rob them for their winter jackets. DeMario’s twin got in a fight with the accosting young men and in an attempt to save his twin, DeMario was shoot and killed by the other teens. So many things at play here. But for my part, it’s irresponsible to call Chicago “ChiRaq” and feed into the glorification of violence in the city. No matter how how hot the beat is, I will pass on all things Chief Keef.
- The “New Black” OG Lawrence Otis Graham makes another appearance in #PopSnark, with a video interview breaking down the respectability politics of house rules he has set out for his young Black children. Including not wearing sunglasses after dark, and only wearing t-shirts with prestigious institutions visible on the shirts. It’s unfortunate that Graham, along with many others, thinks that decorum is what is going to save his children from racism in America. I don’t want to stick around for that upset.
- Beverly Johnson joined the camp of women accusing Billy Cosby of sexual abuse. If only we fought for women’s rights in the same we do for men.
- Titi Branch, co-founder of Miss Jessie’s, passed away in mid-December. It’s being reported due to a suicide. Anymore speculation on the matter, I do not feel comfortable with. But I do think it’s important that we each take care of our emotional/mental health and not be burdened down by carrying on the Strong Black Woman mantra. Condolences to the Branch family.
- Kandi on this season of Real Housewives of Atlanta is just uggtastic….
- And Sorority Sisters at this point was still a matter of speculation. I in this video was hoping that no one from my organization would be silly enough to go on the show, because my sorority is snatch happy with the letters. “They will snatch your letters over a tweet.” #Welp